Sunday, February 22, 2009

Walden Farms REVIEW

Calorie Free Caramel

Slight caramel mostly fake sugar taste. Its like splenda sludge that's reminiscent of caramel but doesn't actually taste like or have the mouth feel of caramel. Despite the hefty $4.25 price tag for a wee 12 oz jar, I suspect this sucker is hitting the trash bin soon.

Whipped Peanut Spread

Vaguely peanut flavored pudding. Peanut butter is already not very carby if you buy the no sugar added versions. I'm going back to the real thing. Its worth the calories to eat it in moderation.

Calorie Free Chocolate Dip

Don't be fooled by the name! This tastes and feels EXACTLY like ever sugar free pudding I've ever had but its the not so chocolatey kind too. For this kinda price tag I'm going back to Jello pudding cups.

FINAL VERDICT

Walden Farms has an entire line of jams, spreads, and sauces but having tried these three I have very VERY dim hopes for the rest. They have good stats but barely taste like the real thing. If its a choice between having the real thing once a year or this stuff, I'm going to wait for my once a year chance. The price for these jars were all over 4 bucks a piece and they weren't small but they were a long way from huge too. I'm thankful for that as they won't take up much space in the landfill they're about to hit soon. Having tried a lot of diet products over the years I was prepared for some deviation from the "real" product but at least a passing resemblance would be nice. If you read the jars, the only thing it seems to have in it is sodium. Not fat, sugar, or carbs and water is generally listed as the first ingredient. Yeah, I should've known better but I was too excited by the prospect and now its a money waste.

No comments: